The Racine Theatre Guild, 2519 Northwestern Avenue in Racine, announces open auditions on July 11 and 12, 2016 at 7 p.m. for LEND ME A TENOR. Rehearsals begin in July, and performances run three weekends in September 16 – Oct 2, 2016.
About the play:
The Cleveland Grand Opera Company’s gala season opener is centered on world famous tenor Tito Morelli performing “Otello,” his greatest role. But the opera is jeopardized when Morelli passes out in drunken stupor. In a panic, the opera company’s diminutive assistant grabs a costume and make up, pretends to be the famous Morelli, and goes on as Otello. The masquerade works until Morelli awakens, dons his costume, and the chaos of mistaken identities ensues involving two Otellos, a volatile Italian wife, an outrageous bellhop, a cynical impresario and two lingerie-clad ladies trying to seduce the famous tenor.
- Max: Assistant to Saunders – An aspiring singer. His worst enemy is his own lack of self-confidence. He spends his time as a doormat to his future father-in-law and trying to convince Maggie that he is marriage material.
- NOTE: This role requires the actor to sing Italian Arias and, at times, speak in an Italian accent.
- Maggie: Max’s Girlfriend – pretty, quirky; a young woman who doesn’t want to settle for the seemingly mundane life she has with Max. She longs for an adventurous fling, one which will allow her to “hear bells.”
- Saunders: Maggie’s father and the General Manager of the Cleveland Grand Opera Company – authoritarian; an uptight man with a short fuse, most of which he takes out on Max.
- Tito: A World Famous Tenor known also to his fans as Il Stupendo – imposing; a womanizing Italian who loves Maria, but finds difficulty resisting the advances of the opposite sex, who seem to advance frequently and with considerable momentum.
- NOTE: This role requires the actor to sing Italian Arias and speak in an Italian accent.
- Maria: Tito’s wife – Sophia Loren-type: busty, proud, and excitable; a passionate and temperamental Italian woman who is growing weary of her husband’s wandering eye (and body) for the opposite sex.
- NOTE: This role requires the actor to speak in an Italian accent.
- Bellhop: A bellhop – a highly energetic fan of Tito’s, who uses his occupation to get close to the international star.
- NOTE: This role requires the actor to sing.
- Diana: a soprano with the Cleveland Grand Opera Company – beautiful, sexy; a member of the opera company who has been “flinging her way through the whole cast.” Playing Desdemona opposite Tito, she thinks that he might be her ticket out of Cleveland and into the big time.
- Julia: Chairman of the Opera Guild – Ex-diva, for whom the Cleveland Grand Opera Company is the center of her small pretentious world.
Auditions are at the Racine Theatre Guild (lobby entrance), beginning promptly at 7 p.m. on Monday, July 11, and Tuesday, July 12. Appointments are not being taken. Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script. Scripts may be checked out in advance from the box office.
August 29 and 30, 2016 at 7 p.m.
November 14 and 15, 2016 at 7 p.m.
THAT DARN PLOT
January 9 and 10, 2017 at 7 p.m.
THE ILIAD, THE ODYSSEY AND ALL OF THE GREEK MYTHOLOGY IN 99 MINUTES OR LESS
February 6 and 7, 2017 at 7 p.m.
Musical audition dates for MARY POPPINS and JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT coming soon. Musical auditions are by appointment only. Come prepared with a song to sing, sheet music in hand. An accompanist will be provided. Tape recordings and unaccompanied singing are not permitted. In addition to singing, auditions will consist of cold readings from the script and dancing in a group.
Scripts for all of the 2016-17 season may be checked out in advance from the Guild’s box office.
All roles are open.
The Racine Theatre Guild is a nonprofit community (amateur) theatre that offers a wide range of entertainment and enrichment opportunities year-round. For more information, call the box office at 262-633-4218 between noon and 6 p.m. on weekdays or go online to www.racinetheatre.org.