History of the Racine Theatre Guild
Generations of area children have had their first thrilling contact with live theatre through the Packy Plays, as they are commonly known, referring to the RCTs mascot. Packy, the elephant child first appeared in 1947 to instruct children in theatre courtesy. Except for the 1950-51 season, when he was briefly replaced by a penguin, Packy and the RCT have been inseparable ever since. Year after year, youngsters eagerly anticipate his on-stage introductions to each performance.
In the beginning, the Racine Children’s Theatre was established by the Woman’s Club in collaboration with AAUW, the Library Board, the Child Conservation League, the Junior League, and the drama departments of Horlick and Washington Park High Schools. All performances for the first eight seasons took place at the Woman’s Club. The slate for the initial 1933-34 season was Snow White, Afternoon of Morgin, The Silver Thread (marionettes), The Dragon and Puss in Boots (movie). There were two performances of each production. The price for the five-part series was $.50, or 15 cents for a single admission.