The Racine Theatre Guild will be holding open auditions for Sister Act on Saturday, March 3 from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Sunday, March 4 from 6 p.m. – 10 p.m. at Holy Communion Lutheran Church, 2000 W 6th St, Racine.
ABOUT THE SHOW
Deloris Van Cartier goes from a sultry lounge singer to becoming Sister Mary Clarence and singing with the nuns in a grooving church choir in Sister Act. Forced to hide out in a convent, Deloris helps her fellow sisters find their voices as she rediscovers her own. Filled with powerful gospel music, outrageous dancing and a truly moving story, it will leave audiences breathless. This feel-good comedy smash is based on the 1992 hit film of the same name.
- Deloris Van Cartier (25 – 40): an aspiring performer, trying to find both fame and a place in the world. When forced to hide out in a convent, she initially dislikes her new lifestyle, but learns to embrace it by working with the choir. Loud-mouthed, sassy, but ultimately caring.
- Mother Superior (50s -70s): head of the convent, sarcastic and a bit stiff. Extremely protective of her community, which puts her in direct opposition to Deloris and her musical teachings.
- Sister Mary Robert (16 – 20s): a postulant and the youngest nun in the convent. Shy and soft-spoken, but singing with Deloris lets her find her voice.
- Sister Mary Lazarus (50 – 70): one of the more experienced and opinionated nuns of the convent and the head of the choir. The least welcoming of any of the nuns, but she gets caught up in Deloris’s soul music.
- Sister Mary Patrick (35 – 50): one of the more boisterous nuns. Young-at-heart, she is consistently perky, enthusiastic, and easily excitable.
- Sister Mary Martin-of-Tours (40 – 60): a nun of the convent. Clearly in her own world, but has her moments of surprising clarity.
- Sister Mary Theresa (60 – 70): the oldest of all the nuns at the convent. Decrepit at a glance, but secretly packs a punch.
- Michelle (20 – 30): one of Deloris Van Cartier’s back-up singers. Lippy and always quick with a retort.
- Tina (20 – 30): one of Deloris Van Cartier’s back-up singers. A little naïve.
- Monsignor O’Hara (40s – 60s): will try anything to raise money to save the convent. Constantly concerned with financial matters, though soul music surprisingly puts him in a different mood.
- Curtis Jackson (30s – 40s): a slimeball club owner and gangster and Deloris’s boyfriend. Cocky and controlling, always on the verge of violence.
- Eddie Souther (25 – 40): the desk chief at the Philadelphia police station and a high school classmate of Deloris. Faces a lot of nerves when under pressure, but he still dreams of being Deloris’s hero.
- TJ (16 – 30): one of Curtis Jackson’s cronies and nephew. Deft and cognizant of the fact, constantly in a state of ignorant bliss.
- Joey (30 – 40): one of Curtis Jackson’s cronies. He thinks very highly of himself. Believes himself to be quite the ladies’ man.
- Pablo (25 – 40): one of Curtis Jackson’s cronies. A natural follower, constantly speaks in Spanish.
- Ernie (25 – 35): one of Curtis Jackson’s cronies. Initially thought to be a mindless yes-man, he turns out to be an undercover police informant.
Ensemble: additional nuns, waitresses, altar boys, cops, bar patrons, bartenders and homeless people.
Those interested in auditioning MUST sign-up for an hour time slot by calling (262) 633-4218. Bring sheet music and sing a prepared song for the audition. An accompanist will be provided and tape recordings or unaccompanied singing are not permitted. Then, they will be shown choreography and perform a dance audition.
Director Douglas Instenes will hold auditions at Holy Communion Lutheran Church, located at 2000 W 6th St, Racine. Individuals ages 16+ of all ethnicities and levels of experience are encouraged to audition.
Scripts may be checked out in advance from the box office with a $10.00 deposit, which will be refunded when the script is returned. The show will go into rehearsal in late March and performs weekends May 11 – 27. For further information, contact the Box Office at (262) 633-4218 or email email@example.com.
Don’t miss out on any auditions! Sign-up for our auditions email list!